Ad Code

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

glocks compared

Glocks Compared - Glock released the Gen 4 series of pistols in early 2010, which addressed some of the caliber and frame durability issues and brought some minor exterior changes. Some seven years later, we are introduced to the next generation of the Glock lineup. The Gen 5 differences are just as subtle on the surface, but there are some interesting changes that aren't immediately apparent.

I have been using my Gen 5 Glock 19 since late August and have put about 4,000 rounds through it since then. I've used it for static accuracy and in dynamic defensive drills covertly, with and without rail mounted fire. I've also spent time with it disassembled, learning about internal modifications and parts swapping issues (because Glocks are fun hobby kits).

Glocks Compared

Glocks Compared

For the most part, the Gen 5 Glock 19 is just a Glock 19, but there are some interesting and odd changes that warrant inspection. There are also some caveats that early buyers should be aware of. I hope to cover most of them here, but keep in mind that these reviews are from less than 2 months of use several times a week. Maybe more time will tell more stories.

Tested: Ruger Security 9 Vs Glock 19

A large part of this review will cover the differences of the Gen 5 from previous versions and the specific user issues of the Gen-5 (wearing, shooting, accessories, etc.). For a more basic review of the Glock 19, I recommend you read my Glock 19 Gen 4 review here ("Review: Glock 19 Gen 4 - After 80,000 Rounds").

Also note that the photos shown in this article are not factory new pistols. Instead, these are pictures of someone's pistols who use them hard several days a week. They tend to hit easily.

The first and best reason to consider this pistol is that it is a Glock 19; it is arguably the best all-purpose handgun ever made. It is large enough to be a duty pistol and offers functional accuracy and significant magazine capacity while being small and light enough for everyday concealed carry.

Additionally, the excellent reliability offered by Glock pistols cannot be overlooked. In my experience, I've put over 100,000 rounds through Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glock pistols, and the only failures I've ever experienced were due to non-Glock parts failing and the Cerakote job needed to be done. With spare parts, the Glock pistol is almost flawless even in harsh conditions.

Firearm Faceoff: Glock 17 Vs 19

For the Gen 5, you may want to consider the new Glock 19 for a few good reasons. First, the slider lever is now double sided. So if you are left handed, turn the trigger to the right and you have a full left handed pistol. For those of you who like Glock pistols but not grip finger grooves, the Gen 5 grip has a flat front strap. No need to adjust.

Gen 5 offers very little new in the shooting experience, with 2 notable exceptions. The Glock 19 has always been a soft shooting pistol, easy to control and accurate beyond the capabilities of 99.9% of shooters. What's new about this experience is the new Gen 5 barrel and flat front grip.

After shooting a lot with Gen 3 and 4 Glocks, the lack of finger grooves is noticeable. I'm used to the grip whining to fill my strong hand and now it feels different. I don't see that much of a difference, but since the finger grooves fit my hand perfectly and I miss them on this gun. I know a lot of people never liked them, so many are happy with this change.

Glocks Compared

Glock 19 Gen 5 after mud "wounded wings" training. He fell to the ground twenty times.

Glock 48 Vs Glock 43

The new barrel riffling profile is said to double that at longer distances (a 4-inch group at 50 yards, according to Glock). I'm not yet good enough to get 4" groups at 50 yards, but I found that my groups at 25 yards were noticeably smaller with the Gen 5 compared to shooting my Gen 4. I can't say for sure, but I'm assuming it's due to a more accurate barrel.

The Gen 5 trigger may have a slightly better feel than the Gen 4, but that's subjective and hard for me to say. The Gen 5 trigger assembly is completely different from the Gen 4, which is configured like the Glock 43. It has a "New York" trigger spring that uses a polymer spring support and a compression spring (not the extension spring that connects the r rod cruciform). I tried a 3.5lb plug and felt no difference in the weight of the press. So I tried a 2lb connector and ended up with a 4.5lb press that I expect on my breasts. Interesting.

Most of the 9mm ammo I've put through the pistol is a 115gr bullet, but I've run a variety of Federal Premium 147gr Hydra-Shok JHP, Speer Gold Dot 124gr + P GDHP, Federal Premium 124gr HST JHP, Hornady Critical. Defense 115gr and Hornady Critical Duty 135gr …all with flawless performance.

I haven't experienced anything in about 4000 rounds with my Gen 5 Glock 19. The only significant issue I can report is that I occasionally feel a slight hesitation at 1000 rounds when the actions engage the first round in the magazine. Instead of the usual sound/feeling of a "piece" sliding into the battery, there was sometimes a "ka-piece", which seemed like a slight hesitation with the round chamber. This anomaly disappeared after about 1000 rounds and never affected the gun's performance. Meaning: All cartridges chambered and fired.

Glock 19 Versus Sig P320: Which Gun Wins This Epic Battle?

As with all Glock pistols, the transition from the trigger guard to the grip on the Gen 5 G19 is quite angular and usually uncomfortable when shooting the strong middle finger. This is why I recommend that ALL Glock pistols have a Dremmel tool glued to the trigger guard joint and down the grip to create a smooth rounded, smaller profile there. Other than that issue, the Glock 19 is comfortable enough. There are those who disagree and consider the G19 or any Glock pistol to be great without this minor modification. With this mod I find the Gen 5 Glock 19 very comfortable. It cannot be used without it. I personally would never own a Glock that wasn't modified in this way. It would definitely make a nice Gen 6 upgrade.

The Glock 19 is in no way flashy and the recoil is very easy to control. The magazine release position is good and I have to adjust my grip a bit to accommodate medium sized hands to activate it (as with all manufactured pistols). Even with the Glock's minimalist slide-lock lever, my grip often interferes with the lever, and I occasionally find that the pistol won't lock on the last shot in the magazine. This is in no way the gun's fault. It's all me.

Although compact, the Glock 19 is larger than some in its class. However, a good, well-made holster is easy to hide in many places on the belt, inside the belt or outside. I carry a Glock 19 with a light in the cocked position every day and never have a printing problem.

Glocks Compared

Note that the holster and its configuration greatly control concealment. Most concealed carry holsters are poorly made and are not set up at the correct angle to the pistol to facilitate concealment. Be careful!

Glock Pa195s202 19 Gen 5 Pistol 9mm 4in 15rd Handgun

The Glock 19 has a capacity of fifteen plus one, especially for a compact. It's no mistake that the Glock 19 sets the standard for size to capacity in the pistol world.

The Gen 5 Glock 19's largely unadorned slide features a black melonite finish that is then treated with an nDLC coating. The result is a darker and supposedly more durable finish. I really like this new finish and its aesthetics. I can't tell if it's more durable. However, I can say that repeated drops on gravel during practice will scratch the finish and flake off, as shown here:

The scratches above came from doing a few dozen reps of the "wounded wing" exercise shown here:

The polymer frame is very similar to the Gen 4 except the grip is slightly flared on the sides to simulate a magwell (it's just an imitation) and the finger grooves on the front strap are gone. The Gen 5 also only has one pin near the locking block instead of the two pins common to the last few generations. Perhaps because of this change, the bezel is slightly wider and slightly taller than the Gen 4 model. The grip texture is identical to the Gen 4 model and is useful unless your hands are wet or bloody (so if you are, be sure to pick your Glock carry gun).

Concealed Carry: Glock 19 Vs. Glock 26

IF YOU CARRY A GLOCK 19 WITH A LIGHT,

Toy glocks, where to buy glocks, holsters for glocks, what are glocks, glocks zonic, concealed carry glocks, glocks 18, different size glocks, list of glocks, glocks horses, compared, all glocks models

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Recent Comments

Ad Code